Here is what I read on the way to KubeCon

I left Australia on 2nd December for the KubeCon and Cloud Native conference in Austin Texas. I knew it was going to be a long journey and knowing that I don't normally get a good sleep on long flights decided to take a paperback and many eBooks.

So what did I ended up reading?

Cloud Native Infrastructure (eBook) by Kris Nova and Justin Garrison
I had already finished two chapters of this book while waiting to get on the plane to LA. After getting on to the plane read another chapter and given my phone battery was quite low I put in for charging while switched to reading the paperback.

Anyway I continued reading when the battery was fully charged, so between Melbourne, LA and Austin managed to complete reading the entire book.

What do I think about the book?
Kris and Justin did a very good job explaining the running applications vs true Cloud Native applications.
The book is structured in a way that it's easier to understand even for people who may have not worked or had detailed understanding of Cloud Native Architecture.

They also explained why the people culture is important in adopting Cloud Native Architecture. Which I also believe is one of the hardest yet must have in your organisation to be highly successful.

Also talk about the lock-in in terms of technology and vendors. Which I found very interesting as not many talks about it the way they have. However importantly talk about not to outsource your ideas and your thinking.

The book also covers case study of Box (box.com), which is a good way to end the book.

Highly recommended if you are thinking of Cloud Native Architecture or even if you think you know very well and question yourself.

iWoz by Steve Wozniak and Gina Smith (paperback)
Had started reading a bit of the book before I started the journey. However given I had to charge the battery gave me a good opportunity to read as much as I cloud on the way.

What did like about the book?
Wow it is a great book, lot of technical words as one of would expect. What a journey it's been for Woz. He is a great Engineer and he was happy to continue that way most of his life and will not be surprised if he continues to be an Engineer for rest of his life. Recently he is involved in quite a lot of talks, Educational activities for the good of the world.

Most I like about the book is it isn't trying to market him or exaggerate about his life. It is a true Engineer's life and words are more technical than marketing.

If are an Engineer or wanting know a life of a true Engineer's life I highly recommend reading this book. If you live in the most livable city in the world you can get this book at the Book Grocer and there are few outlets in Melbourne CBD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AWS Tech Chat

The San Francisco Fallacy by Jonathan Siegel

Congratulations to Sri Lankan Cricket team !!!!