Here is what I read on the way back from KubeCon

On my way back I had two paperbacks that was purchased while I was in Austin attending the KubeCon 2017.

Kubernetes Up & Running by Kelsey Hightower, Brendon Burns and Joe Beda - this is a special book as I managed to get their Autograph (got two copies one was sent to Colombo office with few other books).

Started reading the book after I got on to the plane from LA and managed to finished reading with about 2hrs to land in Australia (in between I watched two movies too ;-) ) Yes I still need to try out many of the examples and possibly building a Pi Cluster in the summer.

What did I like about the book?
It was an easy read, I was surprised as to how Kelsey, Brendon and Joe managed to keep this book highly technical yet very easy to read and understand. The book covers the most of the key areas related to Kubernetes with detailed examples where possible.

They didn't start the book jumping straight into Kubernetes, they had two chapters where they covered on velocity, scaling your service team, creating and running containers which was a nice segway into Kubernetes and why it is needed. From there onwards they talked details on Kubernetes architecture breaking them down in to the components and with examples. Last chapter talked about couple of real world examples and how to apply them with Kubernetes and finally finishing the book with a summer or winter project depending on the hemisphere you live.

I also got to know from few of them who took the Kubernetes Admin Certification from CNCF that this book was invaluable.  

I am pretty sure our team and many other teams will put this book to good use.

Thank you very much Kelsey, Brendon and Joe for taking the time to write this book and I am sure it will become a great asset for me and others. 


Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly.
This is now a major motion picture movie and was on HBO at the hotel in Austin. However I decided not to watch the movie until I read the book.

Did started reading the bit of the book while in Austin, however due to the conference and other work related matters didn't get much chance to read while in Austin.

I read some of it before landing in Australia, will finish it in the next few days so what I can write a proper review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AWS Tech Chat

The San Francisco Fallacy by Jonathan Siegel

Crowdfunding in Australia